Saturday, December 13, 2008

It really stood still!



My friends and I watched The Day The Earth Stood Still yesterday at Shangri-La. We didn't really planned on seeing this, it's just that it's the only movie that's new this week and neither of us have seen. We've already watched Twilight, I've already watched Four Christmases and Apple doesn't like Bolt so we all decided to go with the only new movie in Shangri-La.

This post is going to serve as a review for this movie and it would explain my title for this entry.

*May contain spoilers*

The Day The Earth Stood Still is a Sci-Fi movie starring Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, and Jaden Smith (Will Smith's son). 

In case some of you don't know, this is a remake of the 1951 classic movie of the same title.

I haven't seen the movie and I have no immediate plans on seeing it either what with the not-so-good experience I have with this modern version.

I personally think the movie started well. Gripping, intriguing, fast paced and it did went on smoothly. It just kind of lost my interest after a couple of minutes when the orb appeared. It was supposed to collide with our planet but it just landed instead. It's a little funny how there are cops, military and other government agencies there with guns and weapons. What are they going to do with the "meteor" (NASA kind of predicted it to be as such)? Shoot it to death? There were choppers roaming on top of the thing, cops, military, the FBI and a couple of scientists surrounding it. The scientists were acceptable since it's supposed to have come from outer space and all that science stuff they could study and share their knowledge about.

Other parts of the movie weren't good either. The characters were quite weak, the dialogues can also be a little funny and off and the story... I don't know where to start! I wouldn't say that the movie has no point at all because it actually have a lesson to it but my friends and I felt that it was kind of rushed. The ending that is. The storyline is weak.

The plot is this: Keanu Reeves is an "alien", kind of like the leader, protecting the Earth from us humans. The aliens are going to wash out our existence to save the Earth because we are killing it will all the hate, the wars, the terrorism, the pollution, etc. He wanted to speak with all the world leaders about his purpose here but is held back by the US Secretary of Defense. 
The orbs that started appearing all over the world is like an arc in Noah's Arc gathering all creatures it could before the flood.

I get the point, it's like an Inconvenient Truth turned into a movie. Making us see what would happen to our planet if we don't start caring for it. But this movie didn't succeed to really emphasize on that part. It's funny how the conflict was just "resolved" with the other 2 characters crying and hugging and forgiving each other. It's not convincing at all!

Keanu's purpose other than killing all humans is to talk to the world leaders and probably explain what we've been doing wrong with our planet and hopefully change his original plan. It didn't went that way though. It's not convincing, really!

I give this movie a 4 out of 10 stars. Not worth seeing in the theaters and paying big bucks for it.

2 comments on "It really stood still!"

Bing Yap on December 14, 2008 at 1:16 AM said...

I watched it tonight with my kids and I must say I totally agree with your opinion. It was really a big disappointment to me. I wish we all just watched Twilight again.

Mara on December 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM said...

That's what I thought too! Although I didn't expect much from the movie, it was still disappointing not to mention a waste of money.

 

Mara's Personal Bubble. Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez