Monday, April 13, 2009

Book Review: Can You Keep A Secret?



I think this is the first ever "book review" that I will be posting here in my blog. I don't know why this is so since I read so many novels already from Chinua Achebe to Paulo Coelho to John Grisham to Mitch Albom to Dan Brown to even local authors like Bob Ong. Maybe this is because I grew up reading books. A lot of them in fact. Disney fairy tales, Sweet Valley Kids, Twins, JR High, SVU and even their Diaries, Berenstein Bears and well, other children books.

However, I wouldn't enumerate them all here and do critique on every books I have read. Today, I will be focusing on Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep A Secret? novel. Remember when I told you how I got sick during the days I was M.I.A? This is how I survived and spent those days: either walking to the beach (yes, just WALKING), listening to music and/or reading this book.
I bought this book last year, early last year if I'm not mistaken, but since then it's been stuck in my bedroom bookshelf still in its cover and I haven't touched it since then. I'm not sure why. Anyway, when I started feeling sick last week I decided to curl up in my bed after taking in some meds and started reading. Funny. Reading the first page already me smile and it already got my attention. I kept reading and reading and flipping through the pages that I didn't notice I was done with it already. I was laughing most parts of the book. This is the second book I have read from Sophie Kinsella (the first one was The Undomestic Goddess) but as far as I could remember, her way of writing in Can You Keep A Secret? was really appropriate for the type of book that it is. Funny. Hilarious. Sweet. This book is one of those feel good ones, the kind that is not "hard" to read, the kind that's easy, funny and suits a nice lazy afternoon at home.

new book cover
I have the old pink one.

Can You Keep A Secret? is about Emma Corrigan. A junior marketing assistant at Panther Corporation. She was on her flight back home beside a total stranger--a male stranger, when they experienced a turbulence and thinking that they are going to die, she spilled every secret she has! Every little thing. When they landed safely, the only consolation prize she thought she had was at least the guy she blurted all her secrets to was a total stranger. No chances they'll meet again. Until Emma came face to face with their company's CEO, Jack Harper, the guy who knows every detail about her!

This book is like the chick-flick in movies. Romantic comedy or something like that. I recommend this to anyone who is into having a good read and a good laugh.

For an excerpt click HERE.

photo c/o: http://www.randomhouse.com

3 comments on "Book Review: Can You Keep A Secret?"

pehpot on April 14, 2009 at 3:11 PM said...

hmm, interesting plot.. parang may halong kilig? LOL.. pahiram nga nyan Mara..

Mommy BlogBlogging Tips

Vera on April 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM said...

I like Kinsella's style. Have you read The Undomestic Goddess? You should! :) I haven't finished Can you keep a secret, but I sure would love to. Binabasa ko lang yan dati everytime hihintayin ko si boyfriend sa Fully Booked Gateway dati. Dun kami nagkikita after work. Di ko man lang naisip bilhin na lang no, hehe :) lOoking forward to more book reviews. you can read mine here, if you're interested lang naman :) : http://verabear.net/category/my-bookcase/

Mara on April 14, 2009 at 4:20 PM said...

PEHPOT: haha! go! maganda siya. enjoy. promise tumatawa talaga ko habang nagbabasa. :)

VERA: yep. that's actually the first Kinsella book that I've read. bilhin mo na yung can you keep a secret! :) i should do book reviews often pala 'no. hehe! suresure i'll check out yours :)

 

Mara's Personal Bubble. Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez